Location: North Tex Canyon Road, ¼ mile east of East Rucker Canyon Road, in Coronado National Forest, Elfrida, Cochise County, Arizona 31.756817, -109.370283 Historical Significance: Fort Rucher, or Camp Rucker, is a former United States Army post in Cochise County, Arizona. First known as Camp Supply and Camp Powers, its name was changed in honor of Lieutenant John Anthony “Tony” Rucker. Lieutenant Rucker died in this approximate area in flooded White River while trying to save the life of Lt. Austin Henely on July 11, 1878. Both men died, and on October 1, 1878, the camp name was changed to Camp Rucker.
This site was also the ranch headquarters of Gray‑Hampe‑Rak from 1884 until 1943. In 1943, the Raks sold Old Camp Rucker Ranch to New York socialite Ella Dana, who in 1970 deeded the property to the U.S. Forest Service in a land exchange. Today the surviving buildings have been stabilized and stand adjacent to a popular campground. Two‑hundred people attended the dedication ceremonies in September 1973, jointly sponsored by the Coronado National Forest and the Arizona State Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Winifred Barrett Chapel, Regent, Tombstone Chapter, NSDAR was the coordinator for the event sponsored by her chapter.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organization, or individual DAR chapters.