Note: Cemetery is on top of a small hill between Colina Drive and Verano Drive. Backside street is Dorado. On AZ-95 you can see the fencing from street level, and there are signs that say historical marker. There are two DAR markers here: one for the monument and one for the flagpole/mining tool.
Historical Significance: This cemetery remains as the last vestige of the pioneer settlement of Hardyville founded in 1864 by William R Hardy. There are 17 known grave sites, each covered with a pile of stones. The town served as an important ferry crossing, steamboat landing and shipping point for area mines and as the Mohave County Seat from 1867 to 1872. In 1883, the ferry was moved to Needles, California, when the A&P Railroad was completed to that point in California. Sporadic ranching, mining and milling activities could be found in this area into the early 1900s.
The historic marker was presented by Fort Mohave Chapter NSDAR in cooperation with Desert Lawn Funeral Home, Desert Foothills Estates, Diamond & Sons Silver Bell Chapel, Eagle Fence and Sutton Funeral Home in special memory of these men: Johnny Killian – died Oct 1866 George E. Mathews – died May 1867 William J. Tuttle – died May 1867 Charles Atchison – died July 1891 A.O. Perkins – died Dec 1897 This cemetery was placed on National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 2001.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organization, or individual DAR chapters.