Location: Havasu Airpark 591 Beachcomber Boulevard Lake Havasu City, Mohave County, Arizona 34.466699, -114.355745
Historical Significance: Site #6 is located on the western point of Pittsburg Point in Lake Havasu City. In 1942, when the United Stated entered WWII, the U.S. Army established airfields nationwide for the purpose of training pilots and aircrew. In 1942, the U.S. military built the Havasu Auxiliary Airfield #6 to serve as an emergency landing strip as part of its World War II defense plan. In 1943, the military expanded this airfield to include barracks, officers’ quarters and a mess hall. This location soon was used as an R&R location (rest and rehabilitation) for Air Force personnel, with fishing, swimming, boating, skeet shooting, and hiking readily available for soldiers on leave. B-17 bombers landed weekly, dropping off a new load of personnel and picking up the previous week’s personnel to be returned to their bases. After the military closed the facility in 1946, it remained privately owned by Corinne and Victor Spratt of Needles, California. Site #6 was eventually purchased from the Spratts by Robert P. McCulloch as a test center for his McCulloch outboard motor line of products. He is responsible for bringing London Bridge to Lake Havasu City, Arizona.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organization, or individual DAR chapters.