Marker: Site of Old Camp Hualapai (formerly Camp Tollgate) Marker
Location: Walnut Creek Road (north of Prescott) Prescott, Yavapai County, Arizona 34.93019, -112.84087
Historical Significance: This post protected the road between Fort Whipple and the Colorado River for freight and emigrant transportation. Camp Hualapai was established in May 1869, just south of Aztec Pass on William H. Hardy’s toll road which ran between Prescott and Hardyville (later known as Bullhead City). In 1870, the camp was taken over by the military to guard against attacks by Native Americans but it was abandoned in 1873. A small settlement grew up around Camp Hualapai and became known as Juniper. Today, there are only a few ruins including a cemetery of early settlers. It is on private property.
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organization, or individual DAR chapters.
Non‑stock photos complimentary from Arizona DAR Daughters.